Wednesday, March 10, 2010

[Reposted trans] Ryu Seung Soo talks about BYJ in his book. (1)

March 10, 2010

Ryu Seung Soo talks about BYJ in his book. (1)

Suehan: BYJ’s friend, an actor Ryu Seung Soo published a book, ‘Don’t be an actor like me’ last year. He shared some of his experiences as an actor and talked about BYJ in his book. Gaulsan nim shared it in byjintoronto and I translated it to share with you. According to Gaulsan nim, she added the explanation in the bracket, [], for us to understand the context better. Please enjoy.

Original in Korean: Ryu Seung Soo
Extracted by: Gaulsan/byjintoronto
Translated into English: Suehan
/ suehan's byj


Story about ‘Winter Sonata’

I met Park Sol Mi after such a long time [Since ‘Winter Sonata’ ended]. She threw a bomb on me while we were enjoying the conversation of our daily lives and the times of the filming of Winter Sonata.

“I’ll be honest with you. I didn’t mention it to you at that time, but your acting was so bad when we were practicing the script.
"..... "


What a lukewarm feeling it is, right at the moment when I heard the truth which I didn’t need to hear it! She seemed sorry for saying that, so she comforted me by saying, “But, your acting is good now.” Was I that bad!!!

****

It was press conference day. It was held at a small hotel in Nami Island the place would be filled with Joon Sang (Bae Yong Joon) and Yu Jin’s memories. I saw my name on the seat where the main casts’ were. I was proud of it, but I felt awkward and it was a burden for me at the same time.

Many reporters and staff were sitting in front of me. Questions from reporters were flooded in and time was passing little by little. During that time, I’ve been just sitting on my seat without a word. I was sitting in front of the reporters, but no one questioned me. I was only occupying the seat, and it looked like I was becoming a still life.

Someone, who might concerned about me just sitting without saying a word, questioned me when I was thinking this and that and about to ‘’draw the picture on the table’. I was so happy, and even before I thought of the question, I said, “Thank you for questioning me.’. Press conference ended just like that.

****

[Ryu Seung Soo received the scripts which had rather substantial emotional scenes in the later part of the drama. He prepared earnestly, and went into the filming with lots of expectation..]

Director saw me at the filming site and didn’t say a word. His facial expression looked like he had confidence in me. It was the scene were I was drunk and hurling Joon Sang with tears.

I had a drink first, and started my lines.. Oh my god, what’s going on here!
I supposed to act with lines in emotions from the frustration with tears in my eyes, but suddenly all the emotions disappeared, the disaster of the blankness arrived, and the sadness, why did it happened to me?, rushed in. I practiced so much.....

I was getting exhausted from the continuous shooting, and the director left the shooing site. It seemed like he couldn’t expect any more from me. He said, “Just edit whatever you want...” when he left. It was the worst comment for the actors to hear. I couldn’t lift my face in front of the actors/actresses staying with me.

Choi Ji Woo comforted me by saying, “Oppa, probably, tears in your eyes would be shown! Bae Yong Joon might be upset because he saw me, his friend, in a desperate situation and suggested another shooting to the director. I left the colleagues who were comforting me behind, and came back home with my head down, like escaping the shooting site. I didn’t say a word all the way to home and stayed at home for days with hopelessness.

I was spending the days like that, and encountered the senior, Park Sin Yang.


I was exchanging the conversation with him and confessed my dismal failure to him. Just like a confession in church. His answer was so simple. Enough to laugh..

“You practiced too much.”
What? What are you talking about? Of course, we need to practice. What is wrong with the countless practices?

No comments: